What is Salvation?
Salvation is the gift from God through Jesus Christ so one may be in a right relationship with God in order to enter into His Kingdom. Christians are a part of God’s kingdom the moment they believe. His Kingdom never ends, it is for all eternity. God sends His Spirit upon all who believe so they may be comforted, led by His Spirit and commune with Him until they come into His glorious presence in Heaven.
– But now the righteousness of God (That we are made right with God or are saved)
– has been manifested apart from the law, (It is not through the Law of Moses)
– although the Law and the Prophets bear witness to it (However the Law of Moses and the Old Testament points to and proclaims what makes us right with God)
– the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ (Salvation is only through faith in Jesus)
– for all who believe. For there is no distinction: (Salvation is offered freely to everyone)
– for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, (Everyone has sinned according to the 10 Commandments. Which ones have you not obeyed? Check by reading Exodus 20:1-17. It only takes one sin to be separated from God – See James 2:10 also. )
– and are justified by his grace as a gift, (Grace means unmerited favor. We do not deserve God’s gift of salvation.)
– through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, (Redemption means deliverance from a form of evil through payment.)
– whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, (Propitiation means God removed the deserved wrath or punishment due to us by offering Himself instead. Jesus’ willing sacrifice through the beating and cruel death on a Roman cross is the free gift as a payment given by God. We could not save ourselves, so God did the payment Himself.)
– to be received by faith. (We accept this gift with an act of faith. We cannot work our way into Heaven. Romans 10:9 says, “if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.”)
– This was to show God’s righteousness, (We know God is perfect and holy because of His plan of salvation to bring us back in a right relationship with Him.)
– because in his divine forbearance he had passed over former sins (1 John 1:9 says it another way, “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” To receive salvation, we need to repent, which means to turn away from our sinful life and turn to follow Jesus by obeying His way – See Matthew 4:17, John 14:15.).
To accept God’s gift of salvation through Jesus, go to Him now and just talk to Him in your own words. Regardless of what you have done, be honest and real. He is a gentle and good Father desiring for you to come to Him.
Tell Him you believe in His Son, Jesus. You understand Jesus is God who came in the flesh to this earth, died on the cross for you and was raised back to life in victory over death and Satan.
Tell God you want to be made right with Him through Jesus and you accept His offer of friendship.
Confess and repent of your sins. Tell God what you have done. Ask Him for His forgiveness. Tell Him of your decision to turn away from your sins and from doing bad things. Ask Him to help you to follow Him and to make right decisions.
Ask for His Spirit to fill you to experience His gifts (See Galatians 5:22) and His presence in your life (See I John 4:13).
Rejoice! You are now a child of the Living God! You are now a Christian with an eternal promise! Follow Jesus and He will never leave you nor forsake you! Find a Christian church to learn more about God and His will for you. Read, study, hunger for the Word of God, the Bible. Meet with Jesus daily in prayer and Bible reading to become closer to Him. Remember, relationships take time and energy. He will go as deep into your relationship with Him as you desire.
Blessings on your journey!